The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival is one of the largest and longest running events in our community, thanks in large part to the spirit, dedication and hard work of the volunteers from the greater Burlington area and all over Vermont who help make the Festival happen. Working to set up and operate our outdoor event spaces, volunteers help create a safe and enjoyable 10-day long celebration of jazz.
Applying to Volunteer
If you are interested in being a part of our volunteer team, please fill out an application and a member of our staff will contact you to schedule shifts. You can access the application in one in any of these ways:
• Fill out the Application Form online here
• Stop by the office at 156 College Street, Suite 302, Burlington VT
• Email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Call 802.863.7992 to request a copy
We can also accommodate groups who want to volunteer together! Please contact the office for more info.
While the majority of our shifts are assisting the production team in some way with the creation of our outdoor venues, we also have shifts that do not require a high level of activity. If you do not see a shift type that works for you here please contact the BDJF office at (802) 863-7992 for more information on additional opportunities.
Production: Our largest crew, volunteering with the production team means assisting with the huge task of setting-up and/or tearing down our outdoor event sites at the Waterfront, Church Street Marketplace and City Hall Park. Tasks include hanging banners, setting up the VIP tent, moving chairs, tables and bike rack, and assisting a professional production crew in laying audio cables, among other things! Production shifts times can often range from early in the morning to late in the evening, and there are always plenty of shifts available! The ability to lift heavy objects is helpful, but not required. Please let us know right away what your comfort level is when signing up for production shifts.
Access/Clean-Up: This crew rotates between taking tickets and greeting at the entrance to our Waterfront events, and helping to keep the event space tidy during and after the performance by helping with trash clean up. This shift takes place during the waterfront event so you will be working to the beat of the live performances!
Info/Merch: Are you a Festival pro or a local who knows their way around Burlington? This is the crew for you! We are looking for a select group of people to assist us with our info and merchandise store. Tasks will include assisting staff in answering Festival questions, giving directions, and light merchandise duties. We do not have many merchandising shifts available, so please contact the office soon for more details!
We encourage all volunteers to attend our brief orientation which will be held on Wednesday, May 30th at 6:30pm in the Amy E. Tarrant Gallery, on the first floor of the Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, 153 Main St., Burlington, VT 05401.
Rules and Requirements to Volunteer
• You must be available to work at least one shift during the festival week. Shifts vary in length based on specific festival needs. This year our volunteer shifts will be scheduled on select days from Saturday, June 1st through Sunday, June 10th.
• Minimum age to volunteer is 16.
• Treat patrons, staff and other volunteers courteously at all times.
• Being under the influence of a controlled substance, including alcohol, during volunteer duty or the unlawful manufacture, use, possession, distribution, or sale of a controlled substance in any quantity while on Organization premises or during volunteer duty is strictly prohibited
Benefits for Volunteering:
• Free t-shirt to wear during your shifts
• Free event ticket for every 6 hours of volunteer work. Ticket options are:
- Chucho Valdes on the Flynn MainStage on Saturday, June 2
- Rhiannon Giddens on the Flynn MainStage on Sunday, June 10
- Belizbeha // Madaila at the Waterfront Tent on Saturday, June 9
Please contact us with any questions!
Burlington Discover Jazz Festival Volunteer Program
156 College Street, Suite 302, Burlington, VT 05401
Phone: (802) 863-7992