The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival is widely known as one of the best jazz festivals in North America, thanks in large part to the spirit, dedication and hard work of the volunteers from the greater Burlington area and all over Vermont who help make the Festival happen. Working to set up and operate our outdoor event spaces, volunteers help create a safe and enjoyable week-long celebration of jazz.
If you are interested in being a part of our volunteer team, please take the time to read through the following information.
Applying to Volunteer:
Every volunteer must fill out an application – even if you are a returning volunteer! You can access one in any of these ways:
- Print the 2013 Volunteer Application
- Stop by the office at 156 College Street, Suite 202, Burlington VT
- Email email@example.com
- Call 802.863.7992 to request a copy
After you fill out your application, email or mail it back to us, or drop it off in person!
Upon receipt of your completed application, you will be contacted by the volunteer coordinator to confirm availability.
Here are the areas in which we need volunteers:
Production - One of the most active crews, this group combines volunteers of all skill levels and abilities to accomplish the huge task of setting-up and tearing down our outdoor event sites at the Waterfront, Church Street Marketplace and City Hall Park. Tasks include hanging banners, setting up the VIP tent, moving chairs, tables and bike rack, and assisting a professional production crew in laying audio cables, among other things! Production shifts times can often range from early in the morning to late in the evening, and there are always plenty of shifts available! The ability to lift heavy objects is helpful, but not required. Please let us know right away what your comfort level is when signing up for production shifts!
Access/Clean-Up – This crew will rotate between taking tickets and monitoring the door to our Waterfront events, and helping to keep the event space tidy during and after the performance.
Info/Merch - Are you a Festival pro or a local who knows their way around Burlington? This is the crew for you! We are looking for a select group of people to assist us with our info and merchandise store. Tasks will include assisting staff in answering Festival questions, giving directions, and light merchandise duties.
Every volunteer must attend a brief orientation session in Burlington which will take place one week before the Festival.
Rules and Requirements to Volunteer:
- You must be able to work a minimum of two shifts during the festival week. Shifts vary in length based on specific festival needs. This year our volunteer shifts will be scheduled on select days from Friday, May 31st through Sunday evening, June 9th. See application for more information.
- Minimum age to volunteer is 16.
- Treat patrons, staff and other volunteers courteously at all times.
- Check in 10 minutes before the start of your assigned shift and stay until the end of your shift. Please always check in and out with your volunteer coordinator!
- Wear your volunteer shirt while on duty.
- Follow all Festival and venue rules while volunteering. DO NOT use alcohol and/or controlled or illegal substances prior to, or during volunteer duty.
Benefits for Volunteering:
- Free t-shirt to be worn while volunteering
- Free admission before and after your shift to shows you are working (not during your shift!)
- Free ticket to select performances for every 16 hours of volunteer work
Please contact us with any questions!
Burlington Discover Jazz Festival Volunteer Program
156 College Street, Suite 202, Burlington, VT 05401
Thank you again for your continued support of the Burlington Discover Jazz Festival, we look forward to working with you!